There are some wonderful things about being pregnant that I can't deny. For example, everyone is constantly offering you food or seconds on food. Boys ages 5-75hold the door for you even when you are still 30 feet from the door. When you are in a waiting room at a doctor's office several people will jump out of their chairs so that the "pregnant lady" can sit down. People constantly smile at you (my favorite part) and compliment your hair, outfit, or shoes. (basically anything that doesn't have to do with your weight gain.) And with this belly, I have a "cut to the front of the line" bathroom pass at any location in Nebraska. So, there are some real perks to this gig.
However, today was a sad day in my pregnant world. I had my first case of "The Cankles." What exactly are Cankles you may ask? Well let me tell you... It's when your calves run directly into your ankles - hence the word Cankles. (In medical terminology..peripheral edema.) There are a few reasons why women develop Cankles in the last month of pregnancy. 1st-heat will cause them (105 degrees)..check...2nd-driving in a car for long periods...check check...3rd-standing for long periods...check check check...and lastly the baby has taken up so much room in your belly that blood flow is actually semi-blocked from your lower extremities. Causing severe swelling or in most cases Cankles. So I woke up this morning and my ankles looked completely normal and by 5 o'clock I have now Cankles. My provider said they will completely disappear once the baby gets here. She said not to worry that my edema issue (Cankles) was far better than most of the mothers she had seen lately. Oh.. well thanks, I have nicer Cankles than other 8 month pregnant women. I almost forgot to feel blessed!!! 33 days of Cankles to go...but who here is really counting!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment