Friday, August 8, 2008

Scares...Unwanted and Unwelcome

I went in for my weekly check up. My heart rate was a little high and my lips were purple. My provider then checked my tummy. She wasn't smiling like normal. We usually joke around and talk about the latest baby she had delivered. But not today, she asked me fifty questions and said that I have a little baby for the amount of amniotic fluid in my tummy. She immediately ordered an AFI Test(Amniotic Fluid Index)and sent me to the hospital straight from her office. I drove to the hospital thinking..."I am not sure what I am even getting tested for?" She didn't really take the time to explain, because she wanted to get the test done immediately before offices closed for the weekend.

I got to the hospital and they were all ready for me. The ultrasound tech took several measurements and once again asked me fifty questions. She called in another nurse and then to my relief they said the baby looked beautiful. They were amazed that she had one thumb in her mouth and was waving with the other hand. They turned the monitor to me and I couldn't help but laugh. This baby is so amazing! Both nurses said that I do have a little more amniotic fluid then normal but that they would monitor it weekly. Basically I was told I needed to slow down, rest more, and drink more fluids due to the heat. I just got home and looked up on the internet more specifics... Here is what I came up with..

How will I know if I have too much amniotic fluid? If you're found to have too much fluid at any point in your pregnancy, it's called hydramnios or polyhydramnios.

Your healthcare practitioner may suspect this problem, which happens in about 1 percent of pregnancies, if your uterus is growing more rapidly than it should. You may also have unusual abdominal discomfort, increased back pain, shortness of breath, and extreme swelling in your feet and ankles. If you have these symptoms, your practitioner will send you for an ultrasound.

The sonographer will measure the largest pockets of amniotic fluid in four different sections of your uterus and add them together to see where you rate on the amniotic fluid index (AFI). A normal measure for the third trimester is between 5 and 25 centimeters (cm). A total of more than 25 cm is considered high.


You'll also need to have regular nonstress tests and ultrasounds for the rest of your pregnancy to closely monitor your baby's development, and you'll be watched closely for signs of preterm labor.

No comments: