Monday, September 26, 2011

We Love To Learn At Home!

I was getting a lot of pressure during the summer months to send Jaya to preschool.  One group of girls asked me where I was going to send Jaya.  I told her I didn't even know 3 year olds went to preschool. I thought it seemed a little young.  The moms informed me that they have preschools for 3 & 4 year olds. That it was probably to late to get her into the finest preschools. They then went on to tell me it cost $180 per month.  I asked them what type of curriculum could I expect from the school.  One friend answered, "They guarantee the kids will know their colors, how to spell their name, and say the alphabet."  I replied, "Wow it's a good thing I know now, you just saved me a $180 per month!"  Then one of the moms said, "Well really, it's just a break for you!"  Now that answer I can truly appreciate!  Being a mom is tough, little rest, and never really a break.  Breaks are healthy.  Breaks are normal.  But the truth is....My little girls will be in school for the next 16 years.  Once I put them in they are in there for good!  I'm not in any rush.  Another Mom said, "Well I am putting them in for the social aspect."  I can appreciate that too!  But I figure if you can get along with your sister that teases you, harasses you, and annoys you...then honey...you can get along with ANYONE in this world.  Jaya doesn't seem to be socially dysfunctional for her age.  After all, I want them to play.  I want them to play a lot!  I want them to learn how to treat each other right.  I want them to learn manners.  I want them to know that home is a place of learning too...So Jaya won't be sent to preschool this year.  She probably won't be institutionalized next year either.  

She is learning and it cost me $3.50.  Here is a picture of her learning how to write the alphabet.   Both girls love activities at the kitchen table.


Elynn is hard at work too..  Trying to figure out how markers fit together!


This is Elynn learning her colors in English and Spanish. 

Here is Rimini learning what her toys taste like...


Right now this just seems right for our girls.  I completely understand it's not right for everyone but it's right for us right now....

2 comments:

Kathy Magee said...

You are SOOOO right, Rimini.

Anonymous said...

Way to go mom! There's no better place to learn acceptance and unconditional love than at home. We are soooo proud of you!
Love,
Oma and Grandpa Joe