Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jaya's Two Month Shots...ok..ok...So we are only about two months late!

Jaya woke up in such a happy mood this morning. Around 9:30am I gave her a small dose of Tylenol. By 10:30am we were at the Health Clinic in Black Diamond for her first set of shots. After a series of questions on Jaya's health, Cheryl the RN, gave Jaya her Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio, Haemophilus Influenza Type B, Meningococcal, and Prevnar Vacinations (a series of three shots). I held Jaya and distracted her with a loud toy while the nurse injected her left thigh. Jaya just stared at the toy and didn't seem to flinch. I was thinking "that's my tough little girl!" Then seconds later the nurse informed me that the next two shots would really burn. The second one went in to her left thigh again and Jaya immediately burst into tears. My heart sank... She just looked at me with a face that said, "mommy, why are you letting that lady hurt me?" I wanted to cry too! The nurse let me hold her close for a minute and then she put the third shot into her right thigh. That was when the blood curling scream was unleashed. Jaya was no longer in the sweet mood she had been in only minutes earlier. She was hurting and upset. The way that makes you feel as a parent I am really surprised any child ever gets vaccinated. Her next set of shots is in February. I think I am busy that month. Travis can take her!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your engagemet! Make sure to give Al a call when you get to Lincoln. Maybe a bunch of us could get together. Have a great Christmas! -Brooke, Julie, Bob Lattimer