Friday, April 3, 2009

Jaya Goes Swimming!

Some of my most fond childhood memories are of going to the local swim pool with my Dad and Mom. (or to my Dad's work!) My Dad taught swimming for over 30 years at a high school, needless to say the Ross kids were all fish!

Travis and I felt it best that I stay home with Jaya this first year. We wanted to give her a good start and let her experience several different activities. Even though, I had read that babies should not get chlorine in their ears until after they turn one, we decided to go anyway. So this morning I took her to the swim pool at the Okotoks Rec Center. It has a large kid's pool (that is heated!!!). I dressed Jaya in her swim suit at home which took 10 min, then headed there in her snowsuit(20 min), then into the "family" locker room and undressed her (15 min), and finally into the pool! It takes longer to get them dressed, undressed, showered then the time they are actually in the pool!!!

The first 10 minutes we were in the pool she held on to my neck for dear life. We finally found a red toy tug boat she immediately started chewing on and she relaxed. We played tug boat around the outskirts of the pool. She loved it! Until a two year old little boy started splashing her in the face. I never dunked her head and we kept her ears dry the whole time. She got mad at the little boy and gave him her meanest scrunchy face ever. She enjoyed the water and I really think it was a positive experience for her. The only thing that would have made it better was if her daddy could have come too....

P.S. I would have taken pics of this first experience...but I do not trust having my camera in aquatic places. I would be broken hearted and lost if something were to happen to it!

No comments: